Benghazi Update

Could it be that the Benghazi Massacre is finally gaining traction with the political elites?

Benghazi Whistleblowers’ Lawyer Says Obama, Kerry Aware that State Department Is Obstructing the Investigation

Victoria Toensing is legal counsel for one of the State Department officials who claims that the Obama administration has threatened them and others into silence regarding the terrorist attack in Benghazi on Sept. 11, 2012. That attack left four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens, dead. The Obama administration blamed the attack on a YouTube video for more than two weeks despite evidence during the attack that it was the work of terrorists. Toensing is a former deputy assistant attorney general, was the first head of the Department of Justice’s Terrorism Unit, and is widely respected on both sides of the aisle in Washington.

Toensing appeared on the Andrea Tantaros Show today and accused the State Department of slow-walking the process for Benghazi whistleblowers to obtain the legal counsel that they are due.

Toensing told Tantaros that President Obama’s answer on the matter during Tuesday’s press conference was revealing.

“The president then says he doesn’t know anything,” Toensing noted, “but did you notice the word ‘notion’? He had thought about that ahead of time, and was minimizing it. The ‘notion’ about people being stopped. You don’t use that word, it doesn’t just fall out of your mouth.”

Militia Hired by State Dept. Warned It Wouldn’t Protect Stevens’ Movements in Benghazi

(CNSNews.com) – The February 17th Martyrs Brigade, a Benghazi-based militia with Islamist elements that the State Department hired as a “quick reaction force” (QRF) to protect the department’s mission in Benghazi, warned the State Department that it would not protect the movements of Amb. Chris Stevens when he visited there last September.

That warning was relayed to the regional security officer (RSO) at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli–the top security adviser to the ambassador–in an internal State Department email dated Sept. 9, 2012.

The was one day before Stevens departed Tripoli for Benghazi–for what was scheduled to be a four-day visit.

“[O]n September 8, 2012, just days before Ambassador Stevens arrived in Benghazi, the February 17 Martyrs Brigade told State Department officials that the group would no longer support U.S. movements in the city, including the Ambassador’s visit,” said a report on Benghazi released last week by the chairmen of the House Foreign Affairs, Intelligence, Oversight, Judiciary and Armed Services committees.

The State Department’s Accountability Review Board (ARB) report, released on Dec. 18, had revealed that the February 17 militia was no longer protecting the movement of U.S. vehicles in Benghazi at the time of Stevens’ September visit to the city. But it did not say that this information had been delivered to the regional security officer in Tripoli the day before Stevens traveled to Benghazi.

“At the time of Ambassador Stevens’ visit, February 17 militia members had stopped accompanying Special Mission vehicle movements in protest over salary and working hours,” said the ARB report.

A Senate Homeland Security Committee report issued on Dec. 30 also included some additional details the ARB report had not. It said: “In early September, a member of the February 17 Brigade told another RSO [State Department regional security officer] in Benghazi that it could no longer support U.S. personnel movements. The RSO also asked specifically if the militia could provide additional support for the Ambassador’s pending visit and was told no.”

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 75 other followers

%d bloggers like this: